Bread toasters are one of the kitchen appliances that you may often omit cleaning. But over a period of time, the crumb that gets accumulated inside gets burnt and may alter the taste of your toast. Burnt food is also linked to an increased risk of cancer due to the presence of acrylamide. So, let us explore the easiest method to clean a toaster.
How To Clean A Toaster?
Time needed: 30 minutes
It is recommended that you clean the toaster every 1-4 weeks depending on the frequency of use. If you toast every day, consider cleaning the crumbs on a weekly basis at least. Else, clean it on a monthly basis. Just like everything else, it becomes easier to clean a toaster if you do so on a regular basis. Else, the accumulated burnt crumbs and baked-on residue may be arduous to clean.
- Switch off The Plug
The first step to cleaning the toaster is to switch off the plug to prevent any electric shock or damage to the appliance.
- Get Rid of The Crumbs
Turn the toaster upside down and gently tap behind it so that loose crumbs get dislodged and come out of the toaster. If you have a toaster with a crumb tray, just remove the tray and wash it with dishwashing soap and dry it before you insert it back into the toaster.
- Remove Any Baked-on Residue
Ideally, you should not toast bread with cheese in a toaster. But if in case there is any cheese, butter or such baked-on residue inside the toaster, use a butter knife to gently scrape it off. Ensure that you don’t rub it against the steel and cause scratches on the surface.
- Clean the Insides of The Toaster
Using a pastry brush or a small toothbrush, scrub the interiors gently to remove any crumbs or food residue that you were unable to remove in step 2. Then, once again, turn the toaster upside down and tap it to remove the crumbs.
- Wipe The Exteriors
Once you have cleaned the interiors thoroughly, dip a microfibre cloth in diluted vinegar and wipe the exteriors. Diluted vinegar prevents watermarks on the surface. If there are any stubborn stains, scrub gently with a soft toothbrush.
You may also like our article on Best Air Fryers In India
Tips To Maintain A Toaster
- Always put a cloth on the toaster, when it is not in use. This way, you don’t have to worry about any insects or dust entering inside.
- Gently smack and clean the crumbs inside as often as you can.
- Avoid toasting bread with cheese or butter in the toaster. Do that on the stovetop instead.
- Avoid using any chemicals to clean the toaster as you cannot wash it in running water. So, chemical residues will most likely remain in it.
- Do not submerge the toaster in water to clean it, as it may damage the appliance.
- Avoid toasting frozen food in toaster as the heating element gets exposed to moisture. This may damage the appliance in the long run.