Almost everyone is familiar with mixer grinders a.k.a mixie that is used for grinding masala, spices, chutney, batter and such essentials for Indian cuisine. Juicer Mixer Grinder is its extension that in addition to grinding helps make juices without much effort.
You might be thinking mixer grinders these days come with a juicer jar. Isn’t that enough? Why do you need an additional attachment for juicing? Well, the answer is- juice yield. The juicer jar in most mixer grinders is rather limited in terms of its performance and efficiency. The pulp left over after juicing often has a lot of juice still left in it. A juicer mixer grinder on the other hand has a dedicated extraction blade with a mesh filter and a pulp collector that makes the whole process a lot easier.
So how do you use a juicer mixer grinder? Let us explain in detail.
How To Use A Juicer Mixer Grinder?
- The feeder of most juicer mixer grinders is narrow in design. Hence, you have to slice the fruits into smaller pieces about an inch wide and 2 inches long. Also, take care to remove the seeds as they could get crushed in the extraction jar.
- Next, attach the juicer attachment to the motor housing. All juicer mixer grinders have a locking system. So, ensure that the attachment is locked in place before you start operating it.
- Then, keep the pulp collector at the designated place. Some of them have a locking system. Others are just pushed and kept in place.
- Open the spout and keep a glass or any container underneath the spout to collect the juice.
- Switch on the juicer mixer grinder and feed the fruit/vegetable pieces one after the other through the chute. Use the pusher to move the pieces to the extraction blade. The juice will pass through the mesh and you can collect it in a glass through the spout. The pulp will move into the pulp collector container.
- Once you have inserted all the fruits, switch off the juicer mixer grinder. Then, check the pulp to see if it is dry enough. If not, pass it through the feeding chute once more to completely extract the juice.
To grind masala or make smoothies and shakes, remove the juicer attachment and fix the jar on the coupler.
Related reading: Best Juicer Mixer Grinders In India
How To Clean A Juicer Mixer Grinder?
Before you start cleaning, ensure that there is no more juice dripping from the spout. It is better to leave it for 5-10 minutes so that you collect the juice to the last drop. Then, remove the pulp collector container. Discard the pulp and clean it with soap and soft unabrasive scrub.
Next, unlock the juicer attachment from the motor housing and remove the mesh filter. Mesh filters are somewhat difficult to clean irrespective of the brand. The best way is to clean it using an old toothbrush dipped in diluted soap. While brushing the filter, keep it under running water so that the residues get washed away.
Keep the attachment upside down so that the water drains off. Ensure it is thoroughly dry before fixing it onto the motor housing. You may notice an odour if you place the wet attachments on the housing and leave it for a while.
Related reading: Juicer Mixer Grinder vs Mixer Grinder
Other Tips For Effective Juicing
- Centrifugal juicers have high RPM and as a result, the juice may get slightly warm. So, refrigerate the fruits before juicing.
- Always run the juicer at the lowest speed. This helps minimize the froth content.
- Cut the fruits just before juicing and avoid storing cut fruits in the refrigerator as they may lose moisture content.
- When using the regular jars, ensure that you hold them in place as they may have a tendency to move away.
- Consider lining your pulp container when juicing pomegranate and such ingredients that tend to stain. This makes it much easier to clean.
- Ensure the components are dishwasher-safe before cleaning them in the dishwasher. Unfortunately, most of the parts of juicer mixer grinders found in India are not dishwasher friendly.
- Juicer mixer grinders come with their own pusher. Do not use any other spatula or tamper as it may touch the blades, damage them and even cause injury.
- Clean the juicer immediately after use. Else it will be quite difficult to remove the fruit pigment stains from the juicer’s body.