What is INS500ii?
Also known as Sodium Bicarbonate or simply baking soda, INS500ii is a European-based naming system for food additives. This system helps as the names of many additives are very lengthy and hard to pronounce in certain cases. It helps in the quick identification of the preservative while maintaining a comprehensive database of all its components for future reference.
Sodium Bicarbonate is a raising agent which is particularly used in baking food items. To activate it, you need to mix it with water, upon which CO2 is emitted. Once activated, it mixes with other ingredients and increases the gas volume in the food item, and drastically improves the overall quality and texture of the dough. The bubble-like texture seen in cakes is a result of baking soda getting activated.
Baking soda is usually colourless or white. It either comes as crystals or in granular form. It is used in making various food items such as idli, dosa, dhokla, flatbread, cakes, etc.
Depending on which region/country one comes from, this preservative is widely used across the globe for various cooking purposes.
Let’s take a deep dive and understand various other applications of INS500ii.
What are its uses?
Although the most common use of baking soda is for cooking and baking purposes, it does have a few other tricks up its sleeve we all should know about. It could probably make our lives easier in various stages of our lives.
- Baking: As mentioned earlier, it is the most popular raising agent used for baking food items. This helps in raising the mixture and giving it the desired texture. Despite its effect on the food item, it does not change the taste of the food in any manner. Adding this component makes the dough fluffy and soft while giving it good consistency throughout.
- Cleansing Agent: Baking soda can also be used to clean household utensils, home appliances, such as freezers, kitchen sinks etc. This product is non-abrasive and can be safely used to clean almost all surfaces while neutralizing all microorganisms. All you need to do is mix the baking soda in water and wipe it on the surfaces that need cleaning. Using this mixture to clean utensils will remove all stains and nasty smells with ease.
- Quick relief from itch and insect bites: Next time you are bitten by any insect, make a paste of baking soda and apply it to the affected area. It will relieve you from the itch and any irritation of any kind.
- Washing: Yes, baking soda can also be used for washing your clothes, as it is alkaline in nature. Just add a tablespoon to the mixture of your regular detergent. It will remove stains, make the fabric softer, and make your clothes brighter and more colorful.
- Room Freshener: Given its effectiveness in neutralizing bad odours from clothes while washing, it makes sense to use baking soda to eliminate bad smells from the house too. The best part is that it’s free from industrial chemicals and safe for those sensitive to commercially available room fresheners. It can also be used to neutralize odours in refrigerators.
- Pesticide removal: Recent studies have suggested that washing food items with a baking soda mixture are the most effective way to remove pesticide and any other odor that may remain on the food.
- Weed killer: Using sodium bicarbonate solution on weed is an excellent way to kill the weed without ever having to touch chemicals. The reason for this is because of the high concentration of sodium which impedes the growth of weed.
- Counters acid reflux/heartburn: Baking soda can help in neutralizing stomach acid which can be caused by the acid which flows out of our stomach into the esophagus.
- Cancer treatment: Research has also indicated that baking soda may help in the chemotherapy process by making the environment for tumors less acidic. While this is still in a nascent stage, there are many positive indications of this product.
How is INS500ii made?
It was only in the 18th century, sodium bicarbonate was discovered by two bakers in the USA. The first factory to produce this on large scale was established by them. It was produced out of carbon dioxide and sodium carbonate.
INS 500ii can be obtained naturally from seawater or salt and are sodium salts of carbonic acid. It can also be synthesized from sodium chloride and limestone through the Solvay process or by electrolysis of salt water. In this process, sodium chloride, ammonia, and carbon dioxide react with water.
Is INS500ii Safe For Use?
FDA considers INS500ii generally safe to use as food additive, toothpaste and antacids.
However, like any food item, anything in excess is never good. Excess of this may cause nausea, vomiting, and bad bowel movement. As per research, the overall effect of sodium bicarbonate on humans has been under scrutiny for long periods and it’s safe to say its benefits outweigh the risks.
Health concerns over INS500ii
Sodium bicarbonate is a wildly popular food preservative with science-backed health benefits. However, consumption in excess dosage, especially by those with kidney ailments may cause adverse health effects. As per information gathered from specific medical journals, some of these are:
- Urge to urinate
- Frequent headache
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomit
- Swelling of limbs
These are extremely rare and most of these issues will subside on their own. But it’s of utmost importance to monitor the health of the patient/user just to be sure in case they have a history of allergies.
How to store INS500ii?
Sodium Bicarbonate usually comes in the form of powder and is available in any grocery store. As it is common knowledge, the powder absorbs moisture and creates lumps. This can eventually spoil the item and lose its potency. The item needs to be stored in an air-tight container so it remains free from moisture and other pollutants. While it is believed that this product can last indefinitely, it is best to finish it within a year. To check if the item is still fresh is by adding vinegar to a glass filled with the item. If it bubbles immediately, then the product is good to go.
To surmise, INS500ii is an extremely versatile product with wide-ranging applications that is not limited to being only a food additive. Researchers are still identifying its uses and establishing its application in various fields to improve the overall quality of human lives while establishing safe and cost-effective methods to achieve this goal.